Monday, November 14, 2005

I made it

Well I made it to London. Yes I'm actually here in da big smoke.
My trips are usually fraught with some anxiety, but for some inexplicable reason I was pretty calm and I really enjoyed the journey.
So many people, so close together, but each in their own worlds. Eyes occasionally flicking up at some movement in the isle. Occasional nervous smiles and looks. Some blank and staring, some sneakily reading other's papers.
Images and memories come to me out of the dark. Fields, trees, buildings, lights. Childhood train rides, to and from homes.
The fields and trees gradually being replaced by buildings and roads. The green spaces lessen as London approaches. The quiet calm of home turning to the hussle and bussle of so many people going about thier lives.
I never liked growing up here . It was too polluted, too noisy and far too many people. Plus there was not nearly enough greenery for my liking.
It still is all those things, but now that I'm a just a visitor I'm able to focus on the more pleasant and fun aspects.
And for the first time I have not felt any negativity. Like seeing it with fresh eyes.
The sensations felt new but somehow familiar. Comfortable, pleasant, exciting.
As I'm writing this I'm sat in my friend F's house listening to him playing the guitar and singing, it's lovely. I so miss hearing people play, there's something very special about it, tranquil, calm, yet uplifling.
A late night drinking and smoking has left us spaced out but content.
So now, as I have friends to see and fun to be had, I'm going off to plan out my week.
And not only do I not have to cook my supper tonight I'm going to a lovely pub only five minutes away! Hoorah for London convenience!

2 comments:

Hobbit's Journal said...

You take care and have a good time!

I just wish I could grab a break at the moment. Though I give my friend Pat a hard time about London sometimes it's a perfect place to get lost in, just what I need right now.

Hobbit's Journal said...

and I bet the trains were late too!