Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Great Pacific Garbage Patch

When I think about the sea it brings to mind many things...

 

  

Sometimes these!



Certainly not this!


 
Or this...



My friend N told me about it and the "Plastiki" Expedition trying to raise awareness
I was shocked that this mass garbage dump existed and that -oh who am I kidding- I was not shocked that it had not made it into the news. It not only stretches throughout most of the pacific ocean, it gathers in large "Islands" (6). Breaking up into smaller and smaller peices that mix in with all levels of the food chain, including us.
This issue has been known about for years.



Makes you think twice about that fish supper


What can we do...?
  • Google it
  • Check out the pictures, videos and websites
  • Tell your friends
  • and try to do your bit for Our Planet

No comments: